- Renan Barao Injured, Out of UFC 161 Main EventPosted 4 hours ago
- UFC on FX 8 – Vitor Belfort Wins Big in BrazilPosted 7 hours ago
- UFC – Vitor Belfort: ‘TRT Doesn’t Win Fights’Posted 1 day ago
- UFC – Nate Diaz Fined $20,000 for Homophobic SlurPosted 1 day ago
- Nate Diaz Suspended Over Twitter CommentsPosted 2 days ago
- UFC on FX 8 – The Main Card RundownPosted 2 days ago
- Anderson Silva Nearly Quit MMA Before Joining UFCPosted 3 days ago
- Bryan Caraway Picks Up UFC 159 Submission of the NightPosted 3 days ago
- UFC – Pat Healy Tested Positive for MarijuanaPosted 4 days ago
- UFC 160 – Daniel Cormier Convinced Velasquez Will Defeat Silva AgainPosted 5 days ago
UFC – Dos Santos’ Coach Thinks Overeem Doesn’t Want to Fight
- Updated: March 12, 2013
After Alistair Overeem pulled himself from his fight against Junior dos Santos at UFC 160 because of injury, it brought the second time the fight didn’t go ahead as planned. With heavyweight contender Mark Hunt stepping up and taking the Dutchman’s place on Memorial weekend, it could be some time before we see the pair finally square off inside the Octagon.
Both heavyweights were scheduled to fight on at UFC 146 last year, but due to failed pre-fight drug test, Overeem was subsequently banned from fighting for 9 months. With Overeem pulling out of the UFC 160 event this coming May as well, it has led some to believe he just doesn’t want to fight dos Santos, in-particular the Brazilian’s coach Luiz Dorea.
While speaking to Sherdog recently, Dorea explained that there was something amiss about the timing and situation regarding Overeem’s injury.
“We’re not here to doubt, but it’s really strange. Cigano’s career does not depend on Overeem, but it’s the second time that the fight has been canceled,” Dorea said. “What cannot happen is for Cigano to be penalized for it. He never chooses opponents, always accepts any fight and Hunt would be a good name. Injured or not, Overeem won’t cause any setbacks for Cigano, who already had to start a camp and doesn’t want to go any longer without fighting. It seems that Overeem doesn’t want this fight.
“About that I do not know, but there’s something weird there. It is reported that there was an injury, which we have to believe. Overeem is a great athlete, but he has his problems,” Dorea said. “What will happen is that everyone who has a scheduled fight against Overeem will be [unsure if it will take place]. This is the second time that Cigano has prepared for this fight, and this requires dedication and money. This postponement will not obstruct Cigano’s plans to seek the title shot soon after this fight.
“What else can happen in July, August? Will there be another story, another problem with the lab, or an injury?” Dorea continued. “There are great names in the division without a fight scheduled, …. but Overeem is also a great duel. Except that Overeem teases Cigano, and every time we get close to the fight, we do not know what happens. It’s a difficult situation. But I’m quiet, and the UFC is watching.”
Who knows why exactly Overeem pulled himself from the fight, it’s most likely due to injury and comments made by dos Santos’ coach come as somewhat redundant with a replacement now already picked and ready to fight.
Do you think Overeem will ever face off against dos Santos? You can let us know in the comment section below and check out our Facebook and Google+ pages to stay up-to-date with all the current MMA action.