- Heavyweight Josh Barnett Signs New UFC DealPosted 12 hours ago
- Matt Serra ‘Walking Away’ From Mixed Martial ArtsPosted 1 day ago
- UFC – Gegard Mousasi Eyeing Vitor Belfort at MiddleweightPosted 1 day ago
- UFC 160 – Antonio Silva: “First Punch I Land He’s Going Down”Posted 2 days ago
- UFC – Nate Diaz Feels No Remorse Over Tweet Says ManagerPosted 2 days ago
- UFC – Chael Sonnen Done Chasing Wanderlei SilvaPosted 3 days ago
- UFC 160 – Mark Hunt Finally Granted Work Visa to USPosted 3 days ago
- Renan Barao Injured, Out of UFC 161 Main EventPosted 4 days ago
- UFC on FX 8 – Vitor Belfort Wins Big in BrazilPosted 5 days ago
- UFC – Vitor Belfort: ‘TRT Doesn’t Win Fights’Posted 5 days ago
Matt Riddle Fired by UFC After Second Positive Test for Marijuana
- Updated: March 1, 2013
Welterweight trash-talker Matt Riddle has been given his marching orders by the UFC after failing a drug test following his victory against Che Mills at UFC on Fuel TV: Barao vs. McDonald. Strict UFC officials deemed the decision necessary after the fighter tested positive for the drug marijuana for the second time since joining the brand.
Riddle previously tested positive for the drug after his win against Chris Clements at UFC 149 back in July, 2012 and the bout was later deemed a no contest. Only last week Riddle talked about how he mended fences with UFC after testing positive the first time, saying he was sorry for his actions, but still thinks the drug should be exempt from banned substances within the sport.
The welterweight, who is in possession of a medical marijuana card in the State of Nevada, consumed the drug knowing they would find it in his system post-fight. Yes, the drug doesn’t have any clear performance enhancements, but if it’s against the rules, then you should be ready to face the consequences.
After the UFC decided to release 16 fighters this past month, among them the highly skilled Jon Fitch, those still on the roster need to watch their step or possibly face the door. The UFC have released a statement through their official website on the Riddle’s departure, you can check it out below.
Matthew Riddle tested positive for marijuana metabolites following his bout at UFC on FUEL TV 7 in London, England on February 16, 2013. This is Riddle’s second failed drug test for marijuana within the past seven months. Riddle previously failed a post-fight drug test due to marijuana following his UFC 149 victory over Chris Clements.
As such, the UFC organization is exercising its right to terminate Riddle for breach of his obligations under his Promotional Agreement as well as the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. The UFC organization has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance-enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents. The outcome of the bout against Che Mills was changed to a no contest and the results of the positive test will be reported to the official Association of Boxing Commissions MMA record-keeper.
Do you think Riddle crossed the line and that marijuana should be exempt from the list of banned substances within Mixed Martial Arts? Let us know in the comment section below and make sue to check out our Facebook and Google+ pages for more of today’s MMA news.
Source UFC Website